Applications are now being accepted for the City of Pittsfield’s 2019 Citizens Academy, which will be held this fall.
The Citizens Academy, in its second year, is a free, 10-week session program designed to help community members understand the operations of local government. Participants will gain awareness on the various functions of city departments within municipal government, tour designated locations, and engage in breakout activities. Attendees also will learn more about service opportunities available within local government.
“The program is in its second year and I am very excited about this year’s offerings,” said Catherine VanBramer, Executive Assistant to the Mayor. “Last year’s program provided opportunities to interact with department heads and created a deeper awareness of how government works. I look forward to continuing citizen engagement through this dynamic series.”
Due to the popularity of last year’s program, this year’s class size will be expanded to 25 participants.
The sessions will be held 6-8 p.m. Thursdays in the months of August through October at various locations to be determined within the city.
To be eligible for Citizens Academy, applicants must be at least 18, a resident of Pittsfield, and be able to attend each of the 10-week sessions to the best of their ability.
Scheduled topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Introduction to Municipal Government and Overview of the City of Pittsfield
- Police Department
- Community Development/Recreation/Business Development
- Fire Department
- Building Department and Health Department
- Information Technology
- Department of Public Services & Utilities
- Cultural Development and Library
- Finance Department and Overview of Budget Process
- Personnel Department and City Clerk’s Office
Upon completion of the program, participants will receive a certificate and be publicly recognized for their participation.
There are several ways to apply for the program:
- To apply online, visit click here
- To apply by mail, please click here
- Paper copies are also available in the Mayor’s Office within City Hall, 70 Allen St.
The application deadline is July 26.For additional information, please contact VanBramer in the Mayor’s Office at 413-499-9321 or email: email@example.com